October 24, 2014, 06:06:28 PM
bigger smaller reset 800px Wide width Full width Reset * *

Writers Retreat

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Automatic registration is open again. If you have any questions, drop me a line -- author@janfields.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Naming a target market  (Read 1330 times)
Beth Consugar
NOT da' zombie

My Rep 203

« on: May 31, 2010, 09:04:17 PM »

Part of lesson 8 is to submit three possible markets for your ideas, and explain why you think they would be good markets.  What kind of explanation do we need?  Just a sentence or two describing the magazine's target audience and the types of articles or stories they tend to publish, as well as pointing out how your article or story fits with their audience?  Or are instructors looking for something more?

Thanks!

Beth

SWANEE DAY - available now from Amazon or me!

"Life's like a novel, with the end ripped out" ~ Rascal Flatts
sharonda
The Raven's Quoth

My Rep 1

Animal Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »

I got the answer for you! My first instructor from the basic course told me in my Assignment 8 letter, when looking for markets, the things you should consider are: word requirements, audience of the magazine and specific editorial needs in terms of genres and topics. In a way, what you are saying is what the instructors are looking for...it's nothing you need a whole page for. Just a short paragraph usually does the trick for me or a few sentences at the least.

Hope that helped!

Sharonda
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 09:14:31 PM by sharonda » Logged

Writing is my life.

Keep up with my stories and articles! http://sharondamcphee.webs.com
jfields
Administrator
SHAZAM!!

My Rep 201

I *am* the ghost in the machine

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 06:15:25 AM »

Right, say you have a fantasy short story for twelve year olds that runs 1500 words...then I would say:
My target market is CRICKET because they take fantasy up to 2000 words for kids 9-13.
Now if you know more like, "In the sample issue I read, they had more fantasy than anything else." then you could put that in to make your instructor pass out from joy, but really just show that you checked for things that would make it a good market:
word length
age group
genre
actually buys fiction (you wouldn't believe how many folks send fantasy stories to nonfiction only markets)

Also watch for things that would mean an automatic rejection such as magazines that only take material from teens (if you're not a teen) or magazines that only buy from Canadians (if you're not a Canadian), etc.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: