April 20, 2014, 08:59:41 PM
bigger smaller reset 800px Wide width Full width Reset * *

Writers Retreat

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Automatic registration is open again. If you have any questions, drop me a line -- author@janfields.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: old works or try something new?  (Read 1643 times)
Truth_about4ever
Bestseller

My Rep 0

« on: May 11, 2010, 02:26:49 PM »

I'm a little confused about Assignment 8. Can I pick an old story I worked on for a course or do I have to come up with something totally new?

If I have to come up with something new, I don't know what I should do. I have a piece that just gushed out of me one weekend at college and I was able to get that all down. I don't know if I should then edit that. I'm also interested in writing historical fiction but I don't know how much research I should do and if it'd overwhelm me too much. I like fantasy/sci-fiction but I'm working on a couple novels on and off and I'm stumped just trying to work on those. I've thought about writing about a broken heart, but right now, I'm so emotionally washed up from an experience I had that I can't think clearly enough.

Anyway, sorry for another post. Please help...! I've been stuck on this since probably October.

"I never saw a moor,
I never saw the sea;
Yet know I how the heather looks,
And what a wave must be.
"I never spoke with God,
Nor visited in heaven;
Yet certain am I of the spot
As if the chart were given."
-emily dickinson-
ColoradoKate
Golden Minion
NOT da' zombie

My Rep 206

"We can haz fun eben when we iz rong."

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 02:36:14 PM »

Well, does your old story fit the requirement for the assignment, or not? There are specific goals and guidelines in your manual.

It kind of depends of how much you want to get out of the course, I think. If the old story was for another course, and you already got feedback on it, then it might be wasting your money to use it again for this course, you know?

Those who wish to sing always find a song. (Swedish proverb)
Truth_about4ever
Bestseller

My Rep 0

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 03:32:49 PM »

So I looked again and it looks like I have to come up with three different ideas and make outlines, then send them off. Am I wrong? (*looks for Jan*) lol.

"I never saw a moor,
I never saw the sea;
And what a wave must be.
"I never spoke with God,
Nor visited in heaven;
-emily dickinson-
Keggy
The Great Gazoo

My Rep 26

"A perfect rainbow never seemed so dull." ~N.Jonas

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 03:42:21 PM »

So I looked again and it looks like I have to come up with three different ideas and make outlines, then send them off. Am I wrong? (*looks for Jan*) lol.

Nope, you're right. You need to come up with three stories, or articles, or a story and two articles or vice versa (hope I didn't confuse you!). And you write an outline for each one, and find some target magazines.
The manual is really helpful. I think it even includes some examples of what an outline should look like and what information you have to include. Good luck! Smiley
Truth_about4ever
Bestseller

My Rep 0

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 04:52:39 PM »

Speaking of which, you have any magazines to recommend, Keggy? I've looked for some but I can't find seem to find the ones I need.

I'll reread the manual again, too, thanks!

"I never saw a moor,
I never saw the sea;
And what a wave must be.
"I never spoke with God,
Nor visited in heaven;
-emily dickinson-
Keggy
The Great Gazoo

My Rep 26

"A perfect rainbow never seemed so dull." ~N.Jonas

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 06:24:39 PM »

Let's see... Well, when I did assignment 8, I wrote two story outlines, one for middle-graders and one for teens, and I wrote one article outline. For the teen story, I tried to find teenage girl magazines--my favorites were Brio or Brio And Beyond, but both of those have ceased publication. My third choice is Teen Voices, though they don't pay.

My article is about the bluestreak wrasse, so when it's finished I think I'll send it to National Geographic Kids.

Do you have the Magazine Market Guide for 2010? I'm not even actively submitting my work yet, but that book is a treasure I simply can't imagine living without! And it was especially helpful when I was working on assignment 8.
jfields
Administrator
Golden Bunny

My Rep 201

I *am* the ghost in the machine

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 07:02:50 PM »

If you're having trouble coming up with ideas, you could come at them backwards...for example, you could go to POCKETS website...look at the themes and let them inspire an idea. Then you've automatically got a market that WANTS the story and you use the themes as a story prompts. Themes are great for story prompts actually and that makes marketing a lot easier.

If you like that idea, you could try these themed spots:

http://pockets.upperroom.org/themes/
http://www.cobblestonepub.com/guides_APP.html
http://www.cobblestonepub.com/guides_COB.html
http://www.gemsgc.org/main/shine_guidelines.html
http://www.guardian-angel-kids.com/submissions.htm

Truth_about4ever
Bestseller

My Rep 0

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 09:31:15 PM »

Question. So when we do our outlines, we're really suppised to take up two pages for each?

"I never saw a moor,
I never saw the sea;
And what a wave must be.
"I never spoke with God,
Nor visited in heaven;
-emily dickinson-
jfields
Administrator
Golden Bunny

My Rep 201

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 05:58:22 AM »

Some of my students get them into one but make sure they CLEARLY show what you're planning to do. Sometimes I get such vague "plans" that I really don't have a clue whether it's a good idea or not because I don't know what the student has in mind. Be clear and give enough detail for your instructor to follow.

Truth_about4ever
Bestseller

My Rep 0

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »

So in another words, you don't use 2-3 sentences for each heading. You write as many as it takes so you're clear enough.

"I never saw a moor,
I never saw the sea;
And what a wave must be.
"I never spoke with God,
Nor visited in heaven;
-emily dickinson-
jfields
Administrator
Golden Bunny

My Rep 201

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »

Right ola

Legacy
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 07:58:30 PM »

Jan this is all very helpful Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 09:45:07 PM by Legacy » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: