November 21, 2014, 06:53:19 AM
bigger smaller reset 800px Wide width Full width Reset * *

Writers Retreat

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Automatic registration is open again. If you have any questions, drop me a line -- author@janfields.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Assignment 8 has me stumped a little.  (Read 1780 times)
nicolem
A Friend Among Friends

My Rep 0

« on: February 08, 2010, 03:47:09 PM »

Hi ladies and gents.

Anyone else currently struggling a little with Assignment 8?

I had originally decided to go with 2 fiction short stories and 1 nonfiction article for my 3 submissions. I've got the nonfiction topic picked out with a little of outline/research done. The 2 fiction stories? STUMPED. My bulletin board has several possible ideas but nothing set in stone just yet. Poor thing looks empty.

Does this particular assignment take longer for most? ...Or do I just have the winter writer blues  Sad
Cat
Ears Poetica

My Rep 119

Hobbit at Heart~Crafting worlds one idea at a time

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 06:44:28 PM »

Hey Nicole, I had a bit of trouble with Assignment 8 too. One thing to note, the stories/articles are not written in stone. I originally started my assginment with three fiction, period. When those ideas cooled I became inspired with three NF articles. Then, when I let those cool, I decided I really didn't like all three NF. I ended up doing two fiction and one NF. My instructor liked the NF best, and I used that for my number 9 assignment.

When is your assignment due? Do you still have time to knock about a few ideas? Try outlining a couple ideas for NF, try brainstorming maybe another totally different kind of fiction, then go with which ones appeal most to you. Just remember, one of the three stories/articles that you do will be a polishing-up type of assignment on #9.

Good luck, and hope this helped.

The World Crafter~ http://www.katrinadelallo.com/

In Principio - http://www.katrinadelallo.wordpress.com

One day, I too will draw like this!!!
numbneykid
keyboard pounder

My Rep 0

write on

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 11:09:02 AM »

Hi Nicole.  Good advice from Cat, they are not set in stone.  I've been stumped on this one too.  I've literally been working on this every day for months.  I've got 2/3 (one article and one story) done and am still not satisfied with my work, but have come to the conclusion to do my best and send it in.  Our instructors are there to advise us how we can make it better.  I'm having a hard time stopping all of my second guessing. 

I've come up with a good idea for my 2nd article and have had some good matches with parenting magazines from our guide.  Is that ok?  Could I mix and match?

Looking forward to the huge sigh of relief when this one is finished!  Good luck to us both...

There are people in your life who've come and gone.  They let you down, they hurt your pride.  Gotta put it all behind you, 'cause life goes on.  You keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside. ~Don Henley~
CarrieBoo
The Constellation Writer Major

My Rep 8

Does this hat make my nose look big?

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 03:59:03 PM »

Hi Nicole...I am currently stuck on Assignment 8 too. I started with ideas, then realized they were too lengthy and not right. Then I thought, why not approach this the other way.

I'm not even going to think about ideas for now. I'm spending time researching markets and trying to group some together. I'm hoping this will help make it easier to list 3 markets at the end and help spark an idea for each 'group'.

Good luck!

Numbney, yeah, I think you can mix and match...do you mean repeat some of the magazines as potentials for your other ideas? If so, I don't see why not.

"From the opium of custom
To the ledges of extremes
Don't believe it till you've held it
Life is seldom what it seems
But lay your head upon the table
And in the shuffling of dreams
Remember who on earth you are."
Greg Lake, Closer to Believing
bjb
Subbing Superhero

My Rep 0

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:51:53 PM »

I did okay on assignment #8.  If you want a copy in hopes that a sample will spark your ideas further, let me know-bjb  My e-mail is in the profile or PM me. cheers-bjb
numbneykid
keyboard pounder

My Rep 0

write on

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:56:19 PM »

Carrie, I meant mix and match, parents and children.  I guess I'd have to do young adult - adult.  I have so much information in my brain, I'm not sure where to start and organize. 

BJB, earlier I would have welcomed a copy of yours.  I've gotten so much done now - right or wrong - it would further my second guessing.  Very much appreciate your offer, though. 

There are people in your life who've come and gone.  They let you down, they hurt your pride.  Gotta put it all behind you, 'cause life goes on.  You keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside. ~Don Henley~
CarrieBoo
The Constellation Writer Major

My Rep 8

Does this hat make my nose look big?

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 08:02:52 AM »

Oh right Numbney...yeah, if the topic fits I'm sure you could mix that way. It's great you are brimming with information.  Cheesy

"From the opium of custom
To the ledges of extremes
Don't believe it till you've held it
Life is seldom what it seems
But lay your head upon the table
And in the shuffling of dreams
Remember who on earth you are."
Greg Lake, Closer to Believing
numbneykid
keyboard pounder

My Rep 0

write on

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 10:37:22 AM »

I'm brimming alright.  Sure would like it to stop swirling around my brain and come out through my finger tips!

bjb
Subbing Superhero

My Rep 0

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 07:25:01 PM »

Carrie, I meant mix and match, parents and children.  I guess I'd have to do young adult - adult.  I have so much information in my brain, I'm not sure where to start and organize. 

BJB, earlier I would have welcomed a copy of yours.  I've gotten so much done now - right or wrong - it would further my second guessing.  Very much appreciate your offer, though. 

More than welcome and all the best with #8-bjb
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: