October 20, 2014, 04:11:04 PM
bigger smaller reset 800px Wide width Full width Reset * *

Writers Retreat

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Automatic registration is open again. If you have any questions, drop me a line -- author@janfields.com
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Assignment 8  (Read 1754 times)
robin
A Friend Among Friends

My Rep 0

« on: December 29, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »

I am totally wiped out concerning Assignment 8. I have read all of the post concerning this assignment, however, call me dumb, but I am stuck! Do I tell the ending for a fiction story, do I Just write important pieces in paragraph form, WHAT? So confused. If I could maybe see one. I have looked online trying to find an outline for a story or an article, but to no avail. Please I am at the end of my rope with this one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ColoradoKate
Golden Minion
The Winged Cyber Bun

My Rep 208

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." WS

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 09:05:38 PM »

Hi, Robin, and welcome to the boards!

Did you check out pp. 297-298 in your guide? There's an example of what they call a synopsis, summary outline or story plan for fiction for assignment 8, and on p.308 there's a format for one. Same thing for articles on pp. 301-303 and p. 309. On the pages in between, they define the terms used for the parts of the outlines.

For fiction, yes, they do want the beginning, middle and end, as well as theme, main conflict, characters, setting and time span. Basically, you tell the beginning, middle and end as if you were describing your story to someone... you're not writing the story itself, you're just telling about it.

Does that help at all?

Kate

Those who wish to sing always find a song. (Swedish proverb)
sharonda
The Raven's Quoth

My Rep 1

Animal Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »

Hi Robin,

I think what Kate is trying to say is to summarize it. You are not writing the story out yet. You are only making a description of what it will be. So whatever you plan on putting into your ending, make a brief summary of it. That's all that will be needed there, ok?
I hope that helped.

Sharonda

P.S.-How about you introduce yourself in the "Glad To Meet You" section under "Front Porch Chatting". Everyone would be more than happy to meet you! We're all excited about meeting new members!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:48:36 PM by sharonda » Logged

Writing is my life.

Keep up with my stories and articles! http://sharondamcphee.webs.com
jfields
Administrator
SHAZAM!!

My Rep 201

I *am* the ghost in the machine

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:01:55 AM »

Think of it as a kind of "list of your character's actions" but you don't actually have to write it like a list. For example, this would count:

Joseph sees a commercial for a cereal that's giving away a free jacket for his favorite sports team. He goes to the grocery with his mom and reads the box. All you have to do is buy ten boxes and send in the box tops. J talks his mom into the purchase promising to eat all ten boxes. She buys them and they send off for the jacket. Now Joseph has to face ten boxes of a cereal that he doesn't like. How is he going to get through "operation yukky cereal?" He tries mixing it with other cereal, sprinkling it on ice cream, mixing it with peanut butter and bird seed to make bird feed, sneaking some to his dog, taking it to school in a baggy as part of his lunch and trading it for carrot sticks (the only thing anyone will trade for the stuff), mixing it with other stuff to make a jar of "trail mix" for his dad's birthday, and finally finally he gets through all ten boxes. The next day his new jacket comes. It's made out of some weird stuff that feels like paper but Joseph wears it anyway -- until the first time it's washes anyway.

That's basically the WHOLE story but in super condensed squished down form. It focuses on the main character. It reveals his problem. It reveals what he'll do about the problem. And it reveals the ending. But it's super squished. It would show your instructor EXACTLY what the story will be about and what the character will DO. To many students seem to forget to tell us what the character is going to do...so be sure to put in the actions of the main character in response to the story problem.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:25:23 PM by jfields » Logged

robin
A Friend Among Friends

My Rep 0

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 08:03:54 PM »

Thanks to all of my new friends for helping me to relax and take a deep breathe concerning assignment 8. Everyone's advice was very helpful. I've come to far to turn back now. Thanks again!!
bjb
Subbing Superhero

My Rep 0

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:20:40 PM »

Hi Robin, just more encouragement to stick with it.  I was brain fried at #8 and am so glad I pushed forward to the end.  Keep up your great work - bjb
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: